Your furnace is an essential part of your home that helps keep you comfortable during the colder months of the year. When your furnace starts making some unusual noises, it’s concerning to say the least. Not only are the noises unpleasant to hear, but they may be a sign of a much larger issue happening inside your furnace. Let’s take a look at some of the unusual noises you may be hearing and discuss what the best course of action is.
Most Common Furnace Noises
There are a variety of different noises that can come from your furnace. Some are very concerning, while others are totally normal. Furnace noises you may hear include:
- Scraping – the sound of metal scraping against metal is never a good sign. This typically means there’s a problem with your motor mount or blower wheel. Both possibilities can cause your furnace to not function properly and lead to further damage to the HVAC system.
- Wheezing – if it sounds like your furnace is struggling to circulate air and making a wheezing noise, it’s likely because of a dirty air filter. When an air filter has too much build up on it, the furnace will struggle to push air through, resulting in the wheezing sound. Check your furnace filter because this sound is usually an easy fix!
- Banging – a dirty furnace burner can make it harder for your furnace to ignite. When the furnace starts to kick on, gas will build up behind the dirt until it’s able to ignite. Once it finally ignites, the buildup of gas can cause a banging noise.
- Popping – popping is a normal noise for homes that have metal ductwork. The temperature changes make the metal expand, creating a popping sound.
- Squealing – squealing is a telltale sign that something is wrong with your furnace’s blower belt. The belt may need replaced, lubricated, or realigned.
- Crackling – crackling sounds concerning, but it’s totally normal. This sound occurs when your furnace and ductwork is cooling down after running. If the crackling is a new noise, getting a furnace inspection is a good idea.
What Should You Do?
If your furnace begins making any unusual noises, the best course of action is to get a professional opinion from an HVAC specialist. Your system may be in need of repairs, replacement, and other maintenance to keep it in good working order.
If your HVAC system has been making noises, you’re unfamiliar with, we can help! A+ Plumbing, Heating & Cooling is the leading HVAC repair and replacement servicer in your area. From a routine inspection to a total replacement, we’ve got you covered!
Contact A+ Plumbing, Heating & Cooling today to schedule your consultation and start getting to the root of those annoying furnace noises you’ve been hearing.